Last week marked the end of the 2016-17 KIPP LA school year and we could not be more grateful for the past year’s experiences and optimistic for the future. See below for video highlights from our kindergarten, elementary, and middle-school culmination ceremonies and a list of memorable events from the year.
There were so many incredible moments from this past school year. Here are a few standout achievements, awards, and activities to celebrate:
College and Careers
- MIT, Duke, Harvard, Smith, UC Davis, Claremont, And Wellesley accepted KIPP LA alumni for the first time.
- KIPP Through College hosted several events for students and families preparing for the transition to high school and college.
- A group of college-level KIPP LA alumni spent the day at Riot Games as part of KIPP Through College’s Career Development and Support branch.
Focus on Excellence
- KIPP LA Prep received National Blue Ribbon School recognition by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Maria Morfin of KIPP Sol Academy and Joshua Martinez of KIPP Raíces Academy won the TNTP Fishman Prize honoring exceptional public school teachers.
- KIPP Academy of Innovation’s Emily Vogelsong was awarded the prestigious Harriett Ball Excellence in Teaching Award.
- Melissa Toohey, the iLab teacher for KIPP Ignite Academy, won the Farmers Insurance Dream Big Teacher Challenge.
- School Data Nerd named several KIPP LA elementary and middle schools as top performers for underserved communities.
- GreatSchools featured KIPP Sol Academy, KIPP Raíces Academy, and KIPP LA Prep in their report on CA schools providing strong educational opportunities and high levels of achievement for Black and Hispanic students.
- The charter petition for KIPP Corazón Academy in South Gate was approved by LAUSD and will open in the fall of 2017 serving students in grades K-1.
KIPP Is Community
- KIPP LA Family Ambassadors hosted the Parent Summit: Our Children Are College Bound with information on college admissions, scholarships, and financial aid.
- KIPP LA schools hosted the 3rd annual Innovation Day, a free professional development conference for educators and Ed Tech leaders across Los Angeles.
- The KIPP Parent Engagement Program hosted civic engagement events on immigration rights and voter registration support.
- A number of KIPP LA schools participated in WE Day, raising money for local community causes.
- Corporate partners joined several KIPP LA schools on the National Education Association’s Read Across America Day.
- KIPP LA partnered with Skadden Arps on MLK Day to beautify the KIPP Comienza Community Prep campus in Huntington Park.
Positive School Culture
- 30 students from several KIPP LA schools presented their artwork at the 11th annual MOKA (Museum of KIPP Art) event.
- Special guests Michael B. Jordan (Creed), JJ Abrams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens), and Christy Haubegger (talent manager to actresses Sophia Vergara and Eva Longoria) spoke to KIPP LA students about their career aspirations.
- KIPP LA partnered with Disney to provide magical experiences for many KIPPsters, featuring studio tours and an exclusive screening of Beauty and the Beast.
- Tina Knowles-Lawson served as a mentor for girls from KIPP Academy of Opportunity who participated in “Tina’s Angels.”
- Steve Moore, author of the popular King of the Bench book series, visited KIPP Sol Academy, KIPP Iluminar Academy, and KIPP Academy of Innovation as part of KIPP LA’s A to KLA program.
- Musical groups from multiple KIPP LA schools joined together for the first time to perform on Olvera Street in the We Are the Music Experience Festival.
Check back for more exciting news. Have a safe and zesty summer!