Nina Trujillo, a KIPP LA Family Ambassador and Colgate program coordinator, facilitated dental screenings for students at KIPP Scholar Academy, KIPP Comienza Community Prep, and KIPP Iluminar Academy with plans to visit other KIPP LA Schools throughout the year. The dental van also made an appearance at the KIPP LA Family Day of Action at KIPP Empower Academy earlier this month. The primary goal of the program is to teach children and their families how to maintain good oral health and prevent disease.
This “dental office on wheels” provided free dental screenings from a volunteer dental professional, education on proper oral health care, treatment referrals, and a dental goodie bag for the students.
Colgate’s Tips for Parents on Proper Dental Health:
- Have child brush thoroughly with fluoride toothpaste at least twice a day
- Use a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste
- Change toothbrushes every three months
- Floss child’s teeth once a day until age 8, children may be able to independently floss after age 8
- Have child avoid sharing spoons, cups or anything else that goes in the mouth to avoid contracting tooth decaying bacteria
- Examine child’s teeth for white spots along the gum line
- Complete a dental exam every six months, and consider a fun outing to accompany regular checkups such as a visit to the local park or movie theater
- Ask your dentist about “antimicrobials” and dental sealants to protect your child’s molars
- Limit child’s food and drinks with sugar to no more than three times a day
- Children involved in sports should wear a helmet and mouthguard
- Exhibit proper dental techniques that your child can model